2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 28 oz can of tomatillos
2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 14 oz cans of chili beans
2 14 oz cans of kidney beans
2 cups of water
4 tablespoons of Sriracha sauce
2 packages of Trader Joe’s beefless ground beef, or whatever brand you prefer
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon arbol chile powder
1 tablespoon guajillo chile powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt or to taste (depends on how much salt is in your canned goods)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 teaspoons ground oregano
1. Pour the tomatillos into a food processor and pulse until chunky.
2. In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.
3. Add the spices and stir them into the onions and oil.
4. Add the remaining ingredients except for the vegan beef and stir.
5. Heat until boiling, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least an hour, but the longer the better.
6. Add the vegan beef 30 minutes before you plan to stop simmering.